LABUAN: Two national primary schools and a fully residential secondary school have been ordered to be closed for a week effective yesterday after six students were found positive of the A H1N1 virus.
SK Pantai and SK Pekan Dua have been ordered by the State Health Department to be closed until August 12 while all students of SM Sains placed under quarantine for the same length of period.
In the mean time, parents or relatives of the quarantined students have been advised to refrain from visiting.
Labuan Health Department Director, Dr Zaini Hussin, said that the order was issued to prevent spread of the disease.
“Until yesterday, nine cases had been detected out of which seven of them were students and two members of the public including a UMS-KAL (Universiti Malaysia Sabah Labuan International Campus) staff,” he told the media after attending a briefing on the cases at SMK Pantai yesterday.
He said of the seven students, three were from SK Pantai and two each from SK Pekan Dua and SM Sains.
According to Zaini, the student from SK Pantai who was detected to be positive of the virus two weeks ago has fully recovered while the six others have been reported to be in stable condition and discharged from hospital.
“However, they’re to be quarantined at home,” he said.
In giving the breakdown of suspected cases checked by the department since July 31, Zaini disclosed that 83 of them were from Institut Latihan Perindustrian, 52 from SK Pantai, 32 from SK Pekan Dua, 14 from SM Teknik, 25 from SM Sains and 38 from UMS-KAL.